Thursday, November 6, 2008

Throwback Thursday: Back when my hair was blonde

I am NOT the world's best journal keeper - so I have decided to do Throwback Thursday's every week, and pick a random memory/picture and write about it. So if you knew me pre-marriage to Jordan (that is my own definition of 'throwback') then you are fair game and might show up in an incriminating picture. Also.....I will write the story as I remember it - so some facts may be a little off and certain things will be edited out......

Think big hair, velvet prom dresses, braces, perms, Doc Martins, denim shirts, Esprit bags, scrunchies, college dorms, hitchhiking in Hawaii......you get the picture. I would be afraid if you knew me back in the day - I have some doozies in my photo collection.

SO...

I thought I would start out with a pretty mild picture - but one that brings back very fond memories of my family...


Setting: Snake River, Jackson Hole, Wyoming - circa 2001

Cost: One case of beer

My brother Matt spent a couple of summers as a white water river guide on the Snake. So we all entrusted our lives to him, gave the guy at the rental shop a case of beer for payment, and off we went (sorry mom!).

We had such a wonderful time - laughing, getting thrown out of the raft, getting to know Toria (she was dating John at the time), and totally trusting Matt to get us down the river safely. Thank goodness for the Dirty Purple (Matt's life vest) and all its gadgets.

We also explored Jackson, took the tram up to the top of the Tetons and had a rip-roaring time at the Bar-J ranch. It was a perfect weekend with my awesome family.

4 comments:

Emily said...

That was a fun trip. "4 hours of lameness for 1 hour of awesomeness!" If I am not mistaken, that was the quote of the trip, so graciously stated by you! I didn't know the payment was beer!

Jen Anderson said...

Oh, I love your family so much! I secretly sometimes wish I was a part of your family! (I guess it isn't a secret any more!) It is fun to remember old times. I expect to see myself in a picture or two! :)

Leilani said...

I like your throwback idea, but could we at least get a heads up that some horrible picture of us in our younger days is about to be posted on the internet? :) I'm afraid of what you might find...... I hope all is well with you!

Coulio said...

Thanks for the thow-back! Making me remember denim shirts made my Monday. Also, your garden from a previous post is AMAZING! I should have known...you're your mother's daughter.