Friday, November 16, 2007

Solids? Bring 'em on.

Every night I crawl into bed totally exhausted (I know I know, I only have one child, but hey! I am new at this). Every now and then I muster up enough strength to read a couple of pages from 'What to expect the First Year' which just happens to be on my nightstand. After reading, I realize that my child does everything exactly opposite of what he is supposed to be doing. Last night was no exception. The following is an excerpt from the book describing the first feeding of solids to a baby:
--
"Baby's mouth opens, then, as the food makes its bizarre first impression on inexperienced tatstebuds, screws itself into a knot of displeasure, and spews the alien offering onto chin, bib, and high chair tray. Cut!"
--
I have to admit...this is what I was hoping for. Jordan had the video camera rolling - Harrison was decked out in a freshly laundered bib and propped up in his brand spanking new high chair. I was ready. I was ready for spitting and a scrunched face. As the first spoonful of rice and banana made its way into Harrison's open mouth (on his Anaheim Angels plastic spoon - yes I still call them the Anaheim Angels) I waited with great anticipation..........he gulped it down, spit NONE of it out, and opened his mouth for more. That's it. No crying. No swatting the spoon away. No spitting! Not one morsel escaped his mouth! The bib I suppose lives to see another day without being laundered. I guess I should have known, after all he is in the 98th percentile for weight (21.5 lbs and counting -- see thighs below) and has probably been starving for real food for months now. Maybe tomorrow I will introduce green beans and hope for a more colorful expereience......

Side note....after eating he slept 8.5 hours straight. Got up, ate a little more, and slept three more hours. Oh happy day.
--


3 comments:

Barry and Shannon said...

I need to be more persistant on getting Liza to eat food. It's just so much easier to nurse her all the time. I find that the babies tend to eat better when it's homemade, a tip from Wendy. Plus it's real food and they are usually better eaters come the toddler years. Good luck on the veggies!!!

Toria said...

nice work HD! I bet he'll love the veggies too and I'll have lots of pureed stuff ready and waiting for the high chair food fest in a couple weeks.

Emily said...

I am jealous! H is the best! Claire, again, had issues with her cereal this morning. Take a lesson Clarie! :) And, I too can't wait for the high chair food fest come Christmas!