Friday, November 16, 2007

Late Night Nintendo

Setting: Dark bedroom, Holladay Utah, 11:30pm last night

Jordan: Honey, are you OK?

Annie: I am NOT asleep. I am never asleep. I am exhausted. Why can't I sleep?

Jordan: Do you want to play Nintendo?

Annie: Yep.


A couple of years ago, Jordan and I were walking through the mall and stopped at one of the little kiosks that was selling a game system loaded with all the old school video games. We played Super Mario Brothers, the original, right there in the mall. It was hilarious. We played for a few minutes and all of the sudden hidden extra lives, warp zones, secret coin bricks -- it all came back to me. It made us laugh for the rest of day.

Well a few weeks later, for my birthday, Jordan gave me said game system. It is loaded with all sorts of games: Mario Bros., Contra, Tetris, etc. You know you remember how to play them! Anyway, I had forgotten all about it until last night. We stayed up for an hour laughing and getting competitive. We tried to remember the secret code for infinite lives in Contra, we tried not warping and then warping in Super Mario Brothers, and we played Tetris until our eyes were blurry. It was great fun.

I am sure we won't play again for another few years - but it made for some good bonding time after the babe was in bed.

(For the record...I got to level 8-3, but I have yet to save the elusive princess)

6 comments:

Lisa Ridgley said...

Up Down Up Down Left Right Left Right Control B Control Start. I think the last bit may be off - if I had a controller in my hand I think I could get it for sure!

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane ;) - Lisa

Barry and Shannon said...

I LOVE MARIO BROTHERS!!!!! Barry and I also play pac-man on one of those plug n plays but that sounds WAY better!!!

Emily said...

I admit, I love to play! Last night was great fun. Thanks for letting come and hang out. That was the most fun I have had all week!

Unknown said...

I hope you don't mind my note on your blog. My daughter who lives in Richmond sent it to me and it gave me such joy to see your happy little family. I am Stephen McConkie's mom and within a few minutes little Stephen CONNOR McConkie (2 1/2) & his mom Andrea will be here for Sunday dinner. He is a lot like Stephen and such a delightful child. I noticed that you had Jayd and Tauni's blog.....Jayd was our neighbor in Placentia, CA until Stephen was 15....very small world. We LOVE his family. Love, Shauna McConkie

Michelle @ Twig said...

annie i didn't know that you had a blog! i'll be checking you out more often! i'm at simpleebe.blogspot.com!

Zachary Pierre said...

40 lives in CONTRA: UP, UP, DOWN, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, B, A, B, A, Select, Select, Start. I don't know if there's an infinite lives code. I'm a loser.