Wednesday, September 30, 2009

An English Grandmother...

Happy 88th Birthday to my Nanna!

I stole the description below off of my aunts blog - hope she doesn't mind - and I hope I look as fabulous as she does on my 88th!

My Nanna is an amazing woman! She has lived in several countries and traveled all the way around the world. She is an artist. She is very good at starting over and making a new life for herself. As a young woman during World War II she served in the Women's Land Army in England. The "land girls" did the farm work of the men who were away fighting in the War. She emigrated to the United States with her husband and children while expecting her fourth child. She is the mother of five children, whom she raised in northern Utah. She is always reading and learning. When you have a conversation with her, you realize how well-educated she is. This is through her own efforts to add to her British education, which ended when she was fourteen. She then completed a 3-year apprenticeship at a hair-dressing shop. She has a lot of "spunk." While living in New Zealand, she became an art teacher under her husband's tutelage. She has taught watercolor painting in Germany and has exhibited her watercolors and stitcheries in California. Now she lives in England, the land of her birth. Her posterity totals 15 grandchildren and 19 great-grandchildren.

1 comment:

Susan said...

It's a great compliment to have a stolen blog post! I love your blog and can't help laughing out loud at Harrison's antics. He's the greatest!