Thursday, December 18, 2008

A day that did NOT put me in the Christmas Spirit....

A to-do list a mile long and blizzard-like conditions raging out the front door do not make for a very enjoyable Thursday.

I thought surely the snow would quit by 10am. Then I thought it certainly couldn't last through lunch.

By 2pm I was digging out my car, shoveling my never ending driveway and saying a little silent prayer that my Harrison would be up for the afternoon ahead.

A trip to the photo place, back home to finish the Christmas cards (if you don't think I have your address - email it to me annehowe24@gmail.com), a long line at the post office, holiday traffic downtown, and finally to the mall.

Children (well maybe just mine - all the others seemed to be doing just fine) and malls=disaster.

Whining, arching of the back, begging for cookies, not eating the cookies, etc. etc. etc.

Driving home, missed my exit, lots of ice, toddler screaming 'JUICE' over and over and over and over and over.......

Then silence.

A glance in the rear-view mirror just in time to see incredible amounts of vomit spewing forth. As I try to stop on a snow/ice covered road, my car is slipping, round two of vomit is spraying, toddler is choking and crying, and I am overwhelmed at the smell - and almost lose it myself.

I jump out of the car, throw open the back door, use about 10 gajillion wipes to throw handfuls of yuck onto the snow, strip the child down to his not-so-white-saoked-onesie, clean up the best I can and drive home thinking I might be reported for having a soaking wet half naked screaming baby in the back seat of my car - after all it is 25 degress outside....

All the barf covered clothes were thrown onto the front lawn (which is covered in 8 inches of snow) and the soaking wet babe was put right into the tub.

A full sesame street episode later and a little milk - the babe is fast asleep, the car seat has been hosed down in the sink and I am listening to the washing machine swish away all the remains of the day that were frozen solid onto the clothes, realizing that I smell like a toxic mix of vomit and Clorox - and I have a headache.

I guess my list of to-do's will have to wait for another day.

10 comments:

Kim said...

Poor Annie! What a day! I have had those types of days as well, minus the vomit during a snowy drive home! How awful. But it's amazing once you see them sleeping peacefully at the end of the day how it is all forgotten and they are your little angels again!

Zimmer Mom and Pop said...

Oh man, what a day! You will laugh at this one day. At least Jody and I got a good one. I remember a time very similar to your experience...it makes me smile to think about it. Ah kids, don't you just love them! Merry Christmas to you guys! We love you!

Suzanne said...

Thanks for the great laugh! It makes me realize how human we all are to know someone else has days like that. Sounds like a disaster of a day that you will always remember:) There's always tomorrow right- that's my motto!

Have a Merry Christmas!!

Heidi and Robert said...

Oh, the joys of motherhood and toddlers. Somehow we manage and the next day is much better.

Anonymous said...

What a day! I'm so sorry for you. Barf is the worst mom job ever! We had our first round of the vomit flu a few weeks ago. It has to be the grossest thing ever! Ours started in the stroller at church in the middle of sunday school. Poor Troy had both of them. We stripped down at church and headed home for the first of many baths that day.(Including a bath for the dog who got barfed on as soon as we got home.) Let's just say it went downhill from there and our double stroller now has the nickname of "The Vomit Comet" I'm sorry for your day and know that I have great sympathy. It is nice to know we are not alone when it comes to crappy days and crappy "mom jobs"! I love reading your blog and Harrison is darling!

Tiana Johnson said...

Oh man, does that vomit bring back the horrors I've had these last few weeks...times 3!

I feel your pain.

Lisa Ridgley said...

Oh Anne - that was so funny, and I'm so sorry to laugh at your expense! Glad you can see a bit of the humor in it - he's still adorable!!!

Rebecca said...

Poor Annabelle... poor Harrison... I am thinking that this day was much more traumatizing and scarring for you than for him.

Kathy said...

Oh Annie........I remember those days! So not fun! Hope you and H finally did get into the Christmas spirit!

Sabrina O'Malley said...

I hope you took a nice long hot shower and rewarded yourself with lots of chocolate. Hope the next outing goes well.