Friday, June 13, 2008

Happy Birthday to my Harrison

Today my baby is one year old. I didn't think I would be at all emotional - but I am. Maybe because several milestones have happened during the last few weeks. He sat up from laying down, he pulled himself up to a standing position in his room, he began to crawl (the normal way), he stands in his crib, and one of his front teeth popped through just a few days ago (three more to follow shortly)! So, I am emotional because all of a sudden I am no longer the mother of a little baby - I am the mother of a crawling, standing, normal food eating, tooth-having one year old toddler boy. And I can't help but feel emotional. So I decided to document all events of his big day - beginning to end - for him to see in the future - but mainly for me so I won't forget.

Jordan and I both went into his room this morning to get him out of his crib. He was sitting in the corner playing with his animals and looking through the crib slats. He was so happy to see us and immediately began a game of peek-a-boo and my heart melted. We then moved to the kitchen where Harrison enjoyed his first waffle - complete with a candle - and loved it. And I found myself wondering - how in the world does his hair end up like this in the morning?




Since he can pull himself up and keep his balance now - after breakfast he proceeded to pull everything in his room off every shelf - out of every drawer and toss it to the floor. Lucky me.



After his morning nap - we headed up to the Bountiful Rec Center for a day of swimming with Emily, Claire, and Cassidy. We conquered the lazy river and the splash pool - Harrison LOVES the water and would stay all day if I let him!



When Jordan got home - we gave him a bath (one of my favorite times of the day) and we decided to go on a drive to Liberty Park and take a walk. BUT FIRST - we turned his car seat around - and he went crazy. Looking all around, laughing, talking, and clapping (with his feet crossed of course!). I have been waiting for this day for a long time - there was no chance of him not making the weight requirement!




So today dear Harrison - I was emotional thinking back to one year ago and the day of your birth - and realizing that I cannot imagine my life without you. That very scary day one year ago was worth all the pain, and fear of the unknown - because I now have you. You make me laugh, and you make me proud. Sometimes I tear up just thinking about challenges you might one day face - but your mama loves you - and we will face them together. So Happy Birthday little one - we love you.

9 comments:

Toria said...

You made me emotional too! What's up with that? Looks like a fun day! Happy birthday H! Congratulations Annie- you made it and are a pro at motherhood!

Emily said...

Happy Birthday H! Your party was hoppin'! Thanks for all the fun memories of this past year, you are the best cousin!

Love, Claire

Jessie Nielson said...

We're sorry we missed the big party! We were sad. Jay had a golfing tee time that got moved and he got done too late. Let's get together soon!

The Lanyons said...

How sweet, Annie. He's as cute as can be and you're such a great mom!

Kim said...

So sweet. I am tearing up, too, that is just how I feel about my boys! We had such a great time at the party! Thanks so much for having us.

Alexis said...

Now I have tears in my eyes- and I started out smiling at that sticking up hair on your 1 year old! (I love Evan's sticking-up hair, too) I suppose every mother can identify with the unknowns you mention thinking about. You are a delightful mother and I look forward to meeting Harrison one day.

The Mcclellan's said...

That was so cute. I cant believe he is already one it seems like he was just born. Good luck with the new mobile world, I think its alot of fun. Happy birthday Harrison.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I know we're a little late, but that's how we are around here :) Anyway, I understand the blubbering mommy part. I do this on a regular basis now. I'm not ready for the boys to grow up! Harrison is darling! Yea for the big car seat turn around!

Angi and Jared Cowley said...

That kid has the most AWESOME hair! I love it!