Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My Ashland



I love my Ashland because...

McDonald's, Dairy Queen, and Pizza Hut all went out of business...

Everyone knows to keep the door shut at Lithia Shoes so that Louie the cat doesn't escape...

Every trip to Bi-Mart means you see someone you know or that knows your parents...

Restaurants have names like
Happy Falafel...

Shops have hand-written signs that say 'Don't bother with plastic - we won't take it!'...

Grown men and women wearing fairy wings and NOTHING else, will on occasion, dance in the streets...

There are NO car dealerships, malls, or bowling alleys within the city limits...

The middle school marching band uniforms are tye-dyed T-shirts...

The city band decked out in their teal shirts and white pants play every Wednesday evening in the summer at the band shell in Lithia Park...

'Don't panic! Eat Organic!' signs are posted in grocery stores...

It is home to the unparalleled Oregon Shakespeare Festival and the beautiful Lithia Park...

All my childhood memories were made there...

- BUT MOST OF ALL -

Ashland is where this house is.....



And where this Grumpa shows his grandson all the wonders of the 'cushy' farm...



And where this Nanna plays and plays with her grandson...



We can't wait to come back!

8 comments:

Cat Zimmer said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane Anne- oh how I miss those things:) And H- what a shirt! Did your Dad get one too? It looks like a shirt he would wear. I love that his feet are crossed once again in the picture with Nana. So cute.

Emily said...

Ooooh I love home! I have forgotten the many reasons why I love that place. Thanks Annie for reminding me. H- I love your shirt! I should of asked you to pick one up for Claire!

Toria said...

We love Ashland too! Maybe next trip we'll go together! How fun!

Heidi and Robert said...

Holy Hannah--that is the biggest garden I've ever seen. I knew your parents liked gardening, but that's bordering on obsessive.:) Just kidding--having a good laugh. I figure your mom might agree with me.:)

Lizzy Jones said...

I love Ashland. Looks like you had a lot of fun. I know that Grumpa loved taking H on a ride. I miss it too. Who wouldn't?

The Lanyons said...

Ahhh, making me homesick! Though I do wish the bowling alley would come back!

Jody Zimmer said...

that had to of been my favorite blog so far. First of all H in a tye dyed shirt was amazing, and i love the pciture of grumpa taking H for a ride. looks like he enjoyed it too. And ashland is just how i remeber it. can't wait to go back and see it. Thanks again for letting me crash at your house.

Tiana Johnson said...

We were in Ashland for only a couple of days for the 4th, and I have to confess, since I'm not accustomed to going over to your parents' house, I forgot that you were in town. Plus, I had a rought time with my mom and we left early. It sounds like you had such a great vacation! I'm envious that your mom will watch your baby. My mom makes it seem like such an inconvenience in her busy day, so I don't dare even ask her.

It's great you found neat things to do in Brookings. I have to say I find it hard to see that town as a quaint coastal town for the same reasons as you. I prefer Bandon. Next time, come up to Winston (it's not that much further of a drive) and over to my neck of the woods. We'll have a spare room by then, our house will be finished, and we'll take you camping on the coast, and preferrably along the breathtaking Smith river in the redwoods. We have a trailer now though, because camping with 3 kids (and now 4 next summer) is a bit too chaotic and loud in a tent.