Monday, October 13, 2008

16 Months

I went to a baby shower last week for a good friend who is having her first little one. I took a tour of the nursery she had put together so perfectly, watched her open gifts of pink, and listened to stories of others sharing their baby secrets - and I found myself thinking of my Harrison.

I thought about how the first 7 months after his birth I spent my evenings bouncing on a yoga ball with him tightly swaddled in my arms trying to calm the never ending tears.

I thought about my never ending tears.

And then I smiled. A great big you-couldn't-possibly-know- what-I-am-thinking-smile.

And I thought about how this little person - who was so hard at the beginning - makes me smile and laugh every day.

I thought about how he runs around the house - losing his balance more often than not - squealing with joy as I chase him.

I thought about how he is now trying so hard to mimic every word that I say and succeeding some of the time.

I thought about how sometimes I cry thinking about how much I love him.

I thought about how he runs to the door anytime he hears footsteps on the front porch and yells 'DADDY!!'.

And I thought.....I am a lucky girl.

3 comments:

Emily said...

You are a lucky girl! Thanks for bringing Harrison to us! We love him!

Jen Anderson said...

Being able to stand back and look with a new perspective is such a miracle and so important with motherhood. And just when you think you you couldn't love any more, along comes #5!! ;)

Alexis said...

Annie, He's getting so long! Look at your boy grow... it's just amazing, isn't it.