Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Harrisonisms

Just ran across these little doozies from Harrison that I wrote down just before Halloween....

H: Nanna and I got married last night when I was older.
___________________________________

H: Where is our video camera?
Me: It's gone honey. We need to buy a new one.
H: Did the robbers take it?
Me: Yes.
H: I guess I need to hit the robbers down. Mommy? Is it OK if I hit them down? I'll find them and hit them down. With swords. And daddy.
______________________________________

H: A-N-N-I-E. Do you know what that spells?
Me: Yes - Annie.
H: No. It spells Football Stadium Months. Where you were born. I was born there too last night. Football Stadium Months.
Me: Oh.
______________________________________

H: (giving me a giant hug...) Annie? I sure love you. And I am sorry that the robbers made you sad.
______________________________________


SO...here is the question. My child is obviously quite shaken up by the whole break-in thing. He talks about it almost daily even though Jordan and I never do. What should I do? We try to explain that we are all safe and that the things taken don't matter, but he always brings it up.

SUGGESTIONS??

4 comments:

Kim said...

Oh, Harrison is such a cutie. I love reading the funny things he says! :) Jackson does the same thing when something happens that is stressful or scary to him-- remember how much he talked about the car accident we got in? I think it's almost therapeutic for them to just be able to talk about it and get it off their chests. I would just keep talking with Harrison, letting him talk about it if he brings it up and keep reassuring him. I'm sure over time he will feel better and not need to bring it up.

Leslie said...

Such cute kids!!! Okay we are coming into town again for Christmas - are you guys going to be there or are you heading to Oregon? Love to catch up if possible. Ava has gotten so big. Can't believe she is almost one.

James said...

Poor guy. It's a shame that kids have to spend one moment thinking about stuff like that. How about I masquerade as a robber and allow the entire Howe family to "hit me down"... hopefully providing a sense of closure.

Also, I love the quotes you write on the blog. Having older kids now, I know we remember only a tiny fragment of the priceless stuff they say. Keep it up.

Unknown said...

Harrison is beyond cute ... I love reading his "harrisonisms" ...

I'm sorry the break in scared/worried him so much ... my friend is a strong believer in art therapy .. maybe try to do some on your own? or seek out someone who might be able to help if even just for a short while?

Love you all!